Yesterday was somewhat of an eventful day. We got up in the morning and were just hanging out. My friend Aimee dropped by her 2 boys (Berkley & Aiden) for me to watch so her and Jake could have a little alone time and go for a morning hike kiddo free. The kids were all having fun and hanging out when Zane decided to go into the pantry and look for something. Next thing we know he is crying bloody murder and lying face down on the tile. Apparently he tripped over his own feet and did a header on the tile. Poor kid had a HUGE bump on his head. So once Nana and I calmed him down and made him feel better I was able to see just how big his bump was. Usually Zane bounces back pretty quickly from getting hurt. However yesterday he wasn't doing so well. Nana had to leave to go to an appointment and I was left hanging with the kids. I got them all a snack and settled in front of the TV watching a discovery underwater animal video that Berkley and Zane love. Zane took a few bites of his goldfish snacks and then said Mom I'm tired I want to go to sleep. I have always been told after a head injury not to let them sleep. So I tried to keep him interacting with me and the movie to stay awake. It wasn't working, so I decided to bribe him with going outside to play (he never passes up this opportunity). He said he wanted to and was excited, but as soon as I got his shoes on all he did was lie on the floor and close his eyes. Now I started to get nervous because it was just barely 10am and this is not my little boy I usually have to tie him down to get him to sleep. He wasn't super responsive just one word answers. He was crying for me to let him sleep. So finally I told him he could go to sleep if he stayed on the couch so I could watch him. About 10 minutes later and right before Aimee came to get her kiddos Zane started to make noises like he was going to throw up, but nothing came out. I have always heard the head injuries, nausea, vomiting, being tired is all not good. So with some wise motherly advice from my friend Aimee I decided to trust my instinct and take him to be seen. We went to Urgent Care first thinking it would be quicker. Poor Zane was so tired at this point and just kept crying, which in turn was scaring Zander and he was just trying to kiss and hug his brother, was so sweet, but hard as a mom to watch. We get back to be seen and the doctor there tells me that he is showing some signs that he may have swelling on his brain, of course the mention of those words made my soul ache. I was 2 seconds from breaking down when I remembered if I lost it Zane would only be worse. So they triaged us to a hospital so that we could have a CT scan to make sure he was ok. The whole ride to the hospital poor Zane was trying to sleep and me and Zander were just trying to keep him awake by talking to him and singing silly songs. We got to the ER safely (Thank you Heavenly Father!). We were lucky that they were not busy and we got right back. The doctor saw Zane and did a little exam and told me that he didn't think I had too much to worry about,(that calmed my nerves) but we would do a scan and to make sure all was well. We went back for that around 1pm. A sweet charge nurse was nice enough to hold Zander for me so I could be with Zane he was really scared. When we got into the room to do the scan he told Zane he had to hold still or else they would have to sedate him. Of course he had no idea what that meant, so I told him he would have to get a shot if he would not hold still and let them take the pictures. I explained that it all looks worse than it is and that it would not hurt. He was a very big boy and made me super proud and held still long enough for them to get the images that they needed. We went back to the room and met Zander again and were told we had to wait about 25 minutes for the results. Nana called when she got home and saw us gone because she was worried. She came to visit us at the hospital. About 2 minutes before Nana got there the doctor came in to talk to us. We were happy to find out that Zane had no brain swelling and he just had a minor concussion. They gave me a list of things to watch out for and sent us on our way about 2pm.
All of this really makes me remember how precious my little ones are! I love them so much; I also love to see how their love and concern for one another grows and strengthens.
It Has Been a While
3 years ago
1 comment:
Poor Zane, poor you- I'm so sorry! Love & hugs to you & yours!
Post a Comment